Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

So you want to write a book? Welcome to the number 9 train leaving Downtown New York

So since I was a young girl I dreamt of writing books for a living.  Not a "JK" type living, mind you, just a small modest living.  I always felt it was simply a dream, like being an Olympic ice skater, or winning a full rise scholarship to Oxford.  (I should mention here I don't ice-skate- at.all.)


It wasn't until a sweet friend of mine and I were talking that the idea even left my sugar plum and fairy land.

She asked if she could read my book-  I agreed.  Of course, I mostly wanted someone else to talk about my characters with.

To my utter surprise she loved it-

In truth it was a mess- it still is-

but it got me headed in the "write" direction!



It was February 6th 2009, when I talked to a physic on the phone-  yeah yeah I know, really?  A phone physic?  But she has been rather accurate in the past, so I listened



I asked if I was supposed to be writing, or if I was going down the wrong path-



She said  I was definitely headed in the right direction and then she said this...



I already had an idea in my head, which would be the book that got published first...



I did indeed have the idea, in fact I had it since 7th grade and began what is now known as The Guardians.



It is a trilogy, (isn't everything anymore?) and is technically young adult fantasy/ paranormal romance.



I barely read young adult before I was engulfed by the wizard and vampire world that we now all live in-



I am not a Treky nor do I really care much for Lord of the Rings (Kind of like Stephen King- beautifully written material, just not my taste)



So fantasy was a stretch for me-  then again, I think it worked out ok-



I finished the book the end of June, worked on editing and started the submission process in late November-

As the title says WOW were my eyes opened  wide-

It literally felt like the scene in Harry Potter where the go to the Ministry of Magic and all of the people are coming in through the flu network-

Yeah, kinda like that-



So, here it is February, I am still not published, but waiting to hear back from agents as well as small publishing houses about the fate of my book-



The infesting piece of this - I started reading A LOT of young adult to familiarize myself with genre-



I continued to feel more confident with the more I read, realizing that many stories out there were not exactly what I would say were quality-



So, I will sign off for now, the train is about to leave the station and If I want to get on, I better see if there is any room left in car 31- Maybe I will see you there-

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment