Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Social Networking…are we really being social?


I was asked recently to assist some of my writing group members to, “get with it” and join the world wide web crawlers.  They needed my assistance getting set up on Linked In, Facebook, Twitter and even the basics of creating blogs. 
(Of course I found it irresistible to not set them up with Pinterest too, after all how could they see everything they were missing if they weren’t on it?)
I was astounded at how many simple things I had taken for granted when it came to the social world.  I began to wonder if I was the one who had been missing out on real social time…
I mean these people had wonderful social lives, filled with group activities as well as connections with several organizations, however they had never ventured off the beaten path to the world of internet yet.
I started thinking…
Maybe they had the right idea.   Maybe they were the ones who actually had a social life, and I was the one with the pretend group of friends.  Maybe I needed to branch out…
But by the end of the night I realized I liked my little safe virtual life-  I checked my boards on Pinterest, noting another few places I wanted to visit, updated my status and tweeted about my day…
Maybe in the end- I am virtually positive I like everything the way it is…

No comments:

Post a Comment