Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

X- Men First Class Surprisingly makes the Grade!

The X-Men: First Class

Ok for some of you, comic book movies are rather juvenile- but what can I say- I love juvenile!  

X- Men happens to be one of my favorites, and no not because of Hugh Jackman and his shirtless scenes, but because I love the idea of people special- taken in by a kind heart and taught that they are not alone. 

Sappy?  Maybe.  Who knew I could make super hero’s mushy.  The fact remains when the First Class movie started trailing- I had serious doubts.
Make that stomping fits.  How on earth would anyone be Xavier except Captain Bicard? (Patrick Stewart)  And what was this about Kevin Bacon somehow being a villain?  (I can’t get him past Ren McCormick, but that’s just me)

I resisted.  I pouted.  I had no intention of giving in to this wanna be X Men film.  Until I broke.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it.  The pieces of the puzzle did fit better and I liked the cast.  I enjoyed seeing the good in most of the now bad characters.  I loved watching Mystic embrace her hotness.  Laughed out-loud at the tiny cameo of Hugh as Wolverine.  I finished the movie wanting to re watch all the other films, which in my humble opinion, is what you are supposed to leave feeling.  Was it as good as the original?  Hello, nothing ever is, but it held it’s own nicely.  It captured my interest and kept me entertained.

Having said that, I am not a comic book junkie, so is it true to the comics of yesterday?  No clue.  All I know is it is fun and action packed.  It has a great message of following what is right even when your friends don’t.  It is tame, no extra sexy parts just for the sake of having boobs in the scene.  My daughter watched it with me and I only slightly cringed once.  (Concentration camp part)

This is a fun fairly family friendly film.  Novel concept!  A movie everyone can watch and adults won’t claw their eyes out?   Yep, it must be science fiction!
  3 out of 5



1 comment: